Monday, September 20, 2010

Alice in Chains "Nutshell"

Okay. Just recently I have taken a liking to this song. I'm not sure if it's the melodic baseline, Layne Staley's unmistakable vocals, or because Alice in Chains has such an influence on modern melodic rock bands.

I found this a few days ago watching Theory of a Deadman instrumentally cover it before moving into one of their better known songs. Later I found Staind doing an amazing acoustic cover too.




Nutshell Lyrics:

We chase misprinted lies
We face the path of time
And yet I fight
And yet I fight
This battle all alone
No one to cry to
No place to call home

Oooh... Oooh...
Oooh... Oooh...

My gift of self is raped
My privacy is raked
And yet I find
And yet I find
Repeating in my head
If I can't be my own
I'd feel better dead

Oooh... Oooh...
Oooh... Oooh...


Nutshell is a song probably fueled by Staley's heroin addiction. The isolation, the deceit, the loneliness, the battle of addiction, this song is him in a nutshell. His paranoia dilutes his privacy, and rapes the person he is. The ending line of this song states "If I can't be my own I'd feel better dead." This culminates the struggle. He's losing himself, because heroin is eating away who he is. Death is the end of his detachment.



Video page here

I have to cover this song and post it up right away!

2 comments:

  1. That was one of the best reviews of this song I have ever read...This is my all time favorite song...Many have covered it but no one comes close to Layne singing it...I am extremely biased though...LOL!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the comment. I'll try my best.

    ReplyDelete