Tuesday, May 18, 2010

Poem, from my little book.


I'm looking through my little book today and come across a random poem. I wrote it a few weeks ago on lunch break, sitting in a little park a couple blocks from school. I find it difficult staying inside on a nice day, in a stuffy cafeteria listening to garbled noise and eating processed garbage food. So i pack lunch everyday and walk to the park on lunch hour. I'd rather drink in nature, than sterility.

Untitled

Mighty wind blows
trees sway under false clouds
the wind can't blow me down.

I notice a child
on the taut blue strands
Laughing, and swaying into infinity.

A timeless birch
bears it's green buds
summer isn't quite here yet
for the air smells crisp.

A mangled cage of wasted nature stops in it's tracks
temporarily forgetting it's own erraticness.

Three forgotten souls roam
in their tight-legged dress
flail their satchels whilst they frolic.

Waves ripple on tall grass
their blades singing a silent sonnet.
The waves are too familiar
I come from the land of a thousand lakes.

The flag dances it's jingoist jig
impending doom on the horizon.
I must leave before the ceiling unleashes it's wrath.

I must return to slavery
like everybody else.


Yours,

Jarrett


2 comments:

  1. My fav. lines:
    "The flag dances it's jingoist jig" - I loved the alliteration and irony here.

    "Waves ripple on tall grass
    their blades singing a silent sonnet."- The imagery was so strong I almost felt the blades dancing and playing against each other.

    "I must return to slavery
    like everybody else."- Wow! Ending with a bang! How sad though come to think of it.

    I liked the poem.

    And in answer to your question, I live in New Zealand. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really like your interpretation!

    After the line about the flag, I added impending doom on the horizon to signify the changes in Canada's political landscape.

    In this conservative part of the country we are developping a new nationalism. We think supporting our involvement in Afghanistan is being Canadian. I remember when Canada wasn't an aggressor. What good comes of this war? Death. Death=doom.

    It was also about to rain outside haha.

    ReplyDelete