Thursday, June 3, 2010

Vintage photographs and nostalgia.

I've been thinking about all the trips I've taken between Winnipeg and Thunder Bay. I've taken quite a few. I wonder what would the trip have been like twenty years ago?

Being a mixed media artist, this gets me thinking about old media. Nostalgia and old media. Say some one snapped a picture twenty years ago in the Winnipeg airport. Would they think that one day that photograph would be considered nostalgic? I think not. Like today, when we look at our old 35mm photos. At the moment we took them, we never thought that they would have a unique quality to them twenty years later. It sometimes happens that people are so stupefied by nostalgia they try to recreate the effect of old photos. I'm one of those people.

Marshall McLuhan was right when he said "The medium is the message". The medium not only broadcasts a message (the content of a photograph in my case). The medium embeds itself in the message it carries. This is why older photographs look so different. The medium broadcasts it's own technology, which, dates itself. And as time progresses the qualities of the medium changes the message.

What will the photographs twenty years from now look like? What will they think of our puny -- advanced technology? Will our photographs lose out on nostalgia? Will they desperately replicate the effect?

Original photo: Winnipeg Airport (2007)


Same photo: Nostalgiacized in gimp

Jarrett



2 comments:

  1. We try to replicate because somehow we want to create the same experience of those things and moments perhaps with an expectation that the process of re-living it will make it more valid and real. It doesn't because replica isn't original, is it?
    Nice photo. What year was the picture taken in?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Its quite weird how that picutre does remind me of the ones in my old 1980s photo album. I enjoy the nostalgia look.

    --
    I am sorry as well, I didn't get to read your comment as I have been-- as of late bombarded with retarded comments! So please ignore all the banter haha.
    However just to let you know I started a new project called The Canadian Breakdown. http://canadianbreakdown.blogspot.com
    Its going to be a blog devoted to the alternative canadian arts. So check it out and follow up!

    Cheers friend!

    ReplyDelete